Tuesday, July 31, 2012

$5 Dollar Umbrella Rig?

So depending on were you are at in the country. You are either enjoying your summer or unlike me and much of the mid-west we have been having 100 degree days for the last 20 days or so. I don't really want to count because it will just depress me further. At 8:00 am it is already 85-89 degrees, so needless to say i have not been out fishing much. I really am a dedicated angler, however melting away while trying to find deep biting bass is hard for me as i  am just not used to doing. So unfortunately, i have been couped up on the weekends with the AC running 24/7.

So what do i do? I get caught up on my bass fishing magazines and get ideas on how to customize and tinker with my lures, organize tackle boxes and soft plastics. After all my product www.lureluster.com is all about customization, so why not do some other customization for other lures. Now you know that just about every bait that i have has my stickers on them, so i was looking for something else to do. (side story: as i have so many lures now, i really don't buy anything unless it is a deep discount. And although there are some really nice $10-$25 lures, i just can't bring myself to buy them. I just don't think that you have to have a lure at that price to catch fish. Ok i am cheap to!)

The Umbrella rig has obviously intrigued many with the stories of doubling up or more on this unique fishing lure. However, the cost of these are typically $15.00-$30.00 for the rig and then you have to buy the jig heads and swimbaits to go with them. So i have been tinkering and came up with a home made umbrella rig.

Now if any of you watch the Simpson's, and are familiar with Homer's spice rack, that is typically what happens when i take on projects. However, this one came out  not that bad. Maybe not as pretty as the others, but i bet it will get the same reaction bite!




Ingredients: Broken crank bait sawed; a $1.29 small whisk purchased at Ace Hardware, some old weighted swimbaits that i probably got on a clearance shelf and standard fishing line connectors. I couldn't find the wire and just found a whisk and thought, hello that is almost done for me.
I think you get the picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment